EAT WELL THIS DIWALI
Diwali is a festival of lights, celebration, and lots of food. Traditional Indian sweets and snacks are a huge part of the celebration. Most of us eat them to our hearts fill and it is only after Diwali do we realize the damage that may have been done. Let us not forget that Diwali can be celebrated by eating healthy too. We have a few tips offering an insight into eating healthy during Diwali so that you not only enjoy the foods that you love but also refrain from putting on those unnecessary kilos.
- Prepare sweets using nuts, milk and dried fruits instead of sugar and ghee. Eg date and almond rolls, apple kheer. Choose home-made sweets instead of manufactured ones which are often with unhealthy additives and preservatives. Use natural sweeteners like dates, raisins and figs to make sweets.
- Don’t stock up sweets at home, gift them to others. In case you have them lying around in the house have a small piece just once a day. Do not deprive yourself of foods that you love as that would lead to binge eating at some point.
- Don’t go hungry to a party. Have a glass of buttermilk or vegetable soup, yogurt or nuts to avoid overeating at the party.
- During Diwali social functions choose the healthy options like salad sticks, nuts, and grilled foods as compared to deep fried and salted snacks. Ensure you eat mostly vegetables with less or no gravies as they are loaded with fats and calories. If you are non-vegetarian, chose light roasted or grilled dishes.
- Include healthy salads and fruits during Diwali as a part of the main course. After eating a high calorie meal for lunch one day cut down on the subsequent dinner. Opt for low calorie options like soups, salads, etc.
- Avoid alcohol during Diwali celebrations as they give empty calories. Avoid drinking more than 2 medium drinks of wine or other alcoholic beverages. Dilute your drinks or else take water or soda intermittently.
- Take some time off for exercise to keep the weight under check and keep you active.
- Keep a watch on your portion sizes. Do not over eat.
- Avoid over indulgence and remember moderation is the key.
It is important to participate in the Diwali festivities and enjoy them to the fullest. With these health tips for celebrating Diwali, you can celebrate the upcoming festive season and still make sure that the damage to your weight loss or weight management efforts is to a minimum.