Pastas are popular not only with children but also with adults. They appeal even to the finicky eaters. People often wonder about the nutritional quotient of the pastas. The most frequently asked question is “Am I getting enough nutrition from the pasta?” Dried pasta is mostly made from Durum Wheat, a hard wheat with a high protein content. Pastas made from Durum wheat semolina have a low fibre content due to the refining process. On the other hand pastas can be nutrient rich when made from whole grains. So, the Whole Wheat pasta will not only have the fibre but also the nutrients that are not stripped off during the refining process. So, look out for the word “Whole Wheat” in the ingredient list and be assured that you are getting the nutrition from your pasta.
You can further increase the nutritive value of the pasta by colouring it with a variety of vegetables like broccoli, red and yellow bell pepper, sweet yellow corn and zucchini. The herbs used in the pastas not only bring out the flavour but also have added health benefits. So, no more tussle over pastas with kids. After all they are high on our health scale-o-meter, if prepared with the right ingredients.
Here is a quick pasta recipe which is a hot favourite with our kids. And mommies it is quick to make.
Delicious Quick Pasta
Boiled whole wheat pasta – ¾th cup
Tomato puree – ¾th cup
Finely chopped tomatoes – 3 tbsp
Finely chopped onion – 3 tbsp
Finely chopped garlic – ½ tsp
Chopped capsicum – ½ cup
Oregano – ½ tsp
Chilli flakes (optional) – ¼th tsp
Sugar (optional) – ½ tsp
Olive oil – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Grated cheese – 1 tbsp
1. Heat the olive in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
2. Add the capsicum and tomatoes and sauté on a medium flame for another 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add the tomato puree and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring.
4. Add the oregano, chilli flakes and sugar, mix well and cook for a few minutes.
5. Add the boiled pasta, toss gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 more minutes, while stirring.
6. Serve immediately garnished with cheese.
Note: Turn the pasta into a rainbow of colours by adding broccoli, red and yellow bell pepper, zucchini and yellow corn. You will love it! This simple and quick recipe makes for one serving