10 Simple Tips to Make your Diet Healthier
“You are what you eat” – is what we often hear. Having a balanced diet without indulging in fad diets is the key to a healthy body and mind. With so much information available on the internet on diets people are confused about what an ideal diet should be. A clinical nutritionist offers the following tips to make your diet healthier:
- Don’t miss your morning kick start meal, breakfast as it refuels the body making the mind and body alert for the day’s chores.
- Small and frequent meals with healthy snacks helps in improving body’s metabolism and reduces digestive issues.
- Eat a minimum of 5 servings of seasonal fruits and vegetables daily which have the micronutrients and phytochemicals for maintaining good health.
- Being well hydrated is important as it helps in body functions, digestion and in building immunity.
- Restrict the intake of packaged and processed foods as they contain excess saturated fat, refined flour, and sugar. Regular intake of these foods can lead to obesity, diabetes, etc.
- Dietary fibre from whole grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds helps in regulating digestion and assists in weight loss by bringing in satiety.
- Restrict the intake of added sugar. Look out for hidden sugars present in packaged food items by reading the food labels. Avoid consumption of soft drinks, sodas etc.
- Salt should be restricted, and food labels can help you cut back on foods high in salt like readymade soups, sauces, salad dressings, etc.
- Make moving more and sitting less the mantra of your life. Getting a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate intensity exercise per week should be the goal.
- Studies have proved that good sleep has positive effects on what we eat every day. 7-8 hours of good quality sleep is what you should aim for.
The above tips from a clinical nutritionist can give you the best diet for weight loss and go a long way in maintaining good health. Also, the best nutritionist in Mumbai can help design food plans with the above points to live a fuller and healthy life.