Benefits of Corporate Wellness Programs
The aim of the nutrition program was to build awareness amongst employees to help them improve their health through dietary and lifestyle changes through individual consultations.
Consultations were to be taken with the employees at the corporate office in Mumbai. Similar consultations were to be conducted online with their business managers across India. Each employee was registered and was asked to book a time slot.
The employees arrived at the designated time slot for the consultation with the nutritionist. The consultation entailed taking a detailed food and lifestyle history of each employee to understand their food habits and dietary and lifestyle pattern.
The following observations were made in general:
• Body composition analysis revealed the following:
- 84% of employees had a BMI above 23 putting them in the overweight or obese category.
- 86% of employees had higher total body fat percentage than the recommended level.
- 64% of employees had higher visceral fat percentage which could increase their risk for non-communicable diseases like type 2 diabetes, hypertension, etc.
- 80% of employees had lower skeletal muscle mass leading to decreased strength.
• Diet and Lifestyle analysis revealed the following:
- Around 77% of the employees had an increased consumption of convenience, restaurant or takeaway foods.
- Around 93% of the employees consumed less fruits than the recommended amount through the day.
- Similarly, vegetable consumption was also low in 86% of the employees.
- Water consumption in 63% of the employees was below the recommended consumption.
- Around 25% of the employees felt their energy levels waning through the day while 37% of them felt the same occasionally.
- Almost 55% of the employees did not participate in regular physical activity.
- Many of them consumed unhealthy food options as evening snacks.
- Digestive issues like acidity and bloating were observed in many.
Personalized diet plans were formulated for each employee with healthy meals and snacking options. Healthy eating tips during travel were suggested for those travelling often for work. Appropriate portion sizes were suggested for all. Recommendations for fruit and vegetable intake were made to ensure sufficient minerals, vitamins and fiber through the day.
Physical activity guidelines, tips for making smart choices at restaurants and alcohol intake guidelines were also discussed at the consultation.
Each employee was given tools and resources to help them through the program. Regular webinars / workshops were conducted to educate them on various health related topics. The team was available to address their queries during a stipulated time.
Many employees made considerable efforts to follow the suggested diet and recommended life style routine. The regular support and encouragement from our team helped them achieve the following at the end of 3 months:
• 60% of employees lost body weight.
• 66.6% of employees also lost body fat.
• 69% of the employees increased their skeletal muscle mass.
• Decrease in acidity and bloating.
• Replacing unhealthy evening snacking options to healthier options.
• Regular physical activity for most.
• Increased consumption of fruits and vegetables in many.
These were indicators suggestive to us of improved health in these employees.
Food and lifestyle changes along with weight loss made the employees feel light and energetic. Stress was managed more efficiently and this enabled them to work within their timelines. The healthy dietary pattern improved their productivity at work. Many felt an increase in their immunity levels as they were falling ill less frequently. There are studies that indicate that such positive changes have a direct impact on growth of the organisation. The decreased absenteeism, increased energy and productivity levels will help a business grow with the help of a happy and healthy workforce.