5 Diet Tips And Secrets That Nutritionists Want You To Know
Losing weight or being healthy is increasingly important today. However, the changes one needs to make in the diet and lifestyle are confusing since there is so much information around. Every new diet trend just adds to the confusion further. Eating a balanced and nutrient-rich diet is essential when one is trying to lose weight or trying to get onto a healthy lifestyle. A great Nutritionists in Mumbai have some diet tips and secrets to share which can make the process of eating healthy easier:
- It is not necessary to completely avoid junk foods just because they have ingredients that are not good for health. You can choose to have them once a week in small amounts. Alternatively, experimenting with dishes by swapping unhealthy ingredients of the dish with healthy ingredients or using cooking methods that involve less oil helps in maintaining good health. So, using brown rice instead of white rice or using whole wheat bread instead of refined white bread is a healthy swap for your dishes. Similarly, baking the potato wedges instead of frying them will ensure minimal oil consumption.
- Fibre not only helps in maintaining bowel health but also keeps you satiated thus aiding weight management. It is also necessary for good digestion and helps in conditions like diabetes, high cholesterol, etc. Whole fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds provide fibre along with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants for good health. Skipping or reducing the intake of these foods will reduce the total fibre intake and thus impact health.
- Fad or detox diets are always in trend as they promise fast results. But, they are restrictive and lack one or more major nutrients. So, these diets may help you lose weight fast but are not long-lasting and often lead to nutrient deficiencies.
- It is a common misconception that jaggery, maple syrup, coconut sugar, agave or honey are healthy replacements for sugar. However, they are just different forms of sugar. There can be some nutrients in the natural forms of sugar like jaggery but they are in such minute quantities that you will have to have a large quantity for any benefit. The alternatives can be used once in a while for their rich flavour but remember, they are still sugar with the same calories. Instead, opt for healthy natural sugars like fruits and dried fruits.
- Eating too much healthy food is also not a good thing. For example, eating plenty of avocados, nuts, dark chocolate, peanut or almond butter, and ghee thinking that they are good for health can have negative effects on health too. They can lead to weight gain since they are high in calories. Portion control has to be practised to keep the intake under check.
The best nutritionist in Mumbai through their counselling sessions can discuss these finer points of nutrition along with their practical diet plans.